Rekord Buddy and rekordbox 6 - 🚫 Do NOT upgrade for now 🚫

I’m sure some of you have seen that rekordbox 6 shipped today.

DO NOT UPGRADE IF YOU WANT TO KEEP THE XML EXPORT FUNCTIONALITY.

Pioneer have decided to remove XML exporting from rekordbox. I’m not going to comment on the decision itself but I am in discussion with them and I have offered a solution to cater to users who want to retain this functionality.

In the meantime, rekordbox 6 is not a version supported by Rekord Buddy.

I will keep you all posted on any developments. I haven’t played with the new version yet but if you find creative ways to keep rekordbox 5 and 6 installed and still get access to your music, you can post here and share it with other users.

3 Likes

Yep!!! it seems to be a new era for the rekordbox platform: no xml, subscription based, etc. !!! Some new functionalities seem to be interesting but let’s hope that you will be able to do something to integrate their new library to Rekord Buddy so that we can keep the ability to use Serato and Traktor!!!

Keep in mind that at they also did not fix the XML import bug that they introduced after 5.6.0 so as of today, rekordbox 6 is a completely closed platform for all intent purposes.

1 Like

This decision of removing export XML, and not providing an API yet, doesn’t look good with European rights:

“you have the right to get a copy of your data, free of charge, in an accessible format”

There’s no excuse for them not to fix this. Traktor provides access to your collection in the Music app via the API now so we should get the same.

They really can kiss my arse if they don’t fix this. Hate the company anyway but this would be the last straw.

1 Like

So just tell pioneer dj that you are not happy with it by sending a request!

There is a way out for this but you have to use both version and use 5.8 to manage your library…exporting xml from 5.8 and import to rb 6 the xml file…and it’s done

2 Likes

Looks like the guy at Rekord Cloud was able to find a workaround or something to get his software working with RB6 despite this loss of functionality.

—link removed by moderator—

Although you cannot export the xml file from rekordbox 6, can you still import it?

Ie if I creat playlist on traktor, then import it to rekordbuddy, will rekordbox 6 read it from rekordbuddy like before?

Thanks.

Here’s his write up on it —link removed by moderator—

1 Like

Well, at least somebody is making money off this fiasco, the update finally tipped me over the point of buying Rekord Buddy and moving my collection back to Serato full time. :slight_smile:

Even though the features seem really forward looking nd quite useful, I just can’t support a costly subscription, especially as a part-time DJ who needs DVS, and as a principle in general. I went open source and ditched Abobe programs for the same reason.

I saw this, too. Good work on his part.

I note, though, that the RekordCloud guy only felt comfortable reading the RB6 database - not writing to it (as we all would want), at the risk of unexpected negative side-effects.

we need a guinea pig to test xml import on RB6 :0)

You have a right to get a copy if you request it. I’m not a lawyer but my understanding of this is that it doesn’t mean anyone is obligated to provide access at all times and there is no guarantee that the program’s database would be considered personal data in court.

Reverse engineering, on the other hand, is illegal in many countries including the US under DMCA laws so I can’t host links to stuff like this here :slight_smile:

Now, it’s important to understand that I’m not taking sides here or expressing an opinion on how fair either of those things are. I’ve always done things by the book with Rekord Buddy and so my first reaction is to make we stay within the law here. I hope you guys understand.

In the meantime and until we find a solution to this, everyone should make sure you export you either stick with 5.8.x or that you export a final XML copy of your rekordbox collection as a backup before you ‘upgrade’ to rekordbox 6.

I will post more news here as I get them.

I’m moving back to Traktor. This is the final straw for me.

Thanks for all your help over the years.

@MiQ You’re welcome. Keep an eye on here though. Like I said I will update with any news I have regarding this.

Hi Damien,

This is a discussible topic indeed.

But this case is for sure covered as well by the European Vendor Lock-in regulations:

“To eliminate vendor lock-in practices, the Regulation provides for and encourages the development of codes of conduct for service providers. With these codes of conduct, consumers should be able to switch to other service providers more easily.”

@dj_estrela Like I said, I’m not making a personal statement on what I think is fair or not but I’m well aware of the law in both the US and the EU. Trust me, it is more complex than this.

1 Like

So is it safe to do an xml import on rekordbox 6 as you only mention export not working?