๐ŸŽ‰ FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: I've decided to make Rekord Buddy free and open source. ๐ŸŽ‰

I have moved this post to the rekordbuddy.org from page so that everything stays in one place.

9 Likes

Full support to this decision. Open-source enables Freedom to improve the code, which in turn drives distributed innovation.

I already worked with other open-source projects dj-data-converter and MIXXX on the โ€œ26ms shift issueโ€ [1], and will do the same with rekordbuddy.

The request from Damien is clear:

"I need help with support on the forums. I need help with the manual. I need help testing the app and I need help coding it to add new features.

If you can help with any of these things, DM me here on the forums."

So please join this effort - 3 out of 4 of the above require no coding skills!

[1] blog post: https://github.com/pestrela/music/blob/master/traktor/README.md#dj-collection-converters

2 Likes

The open source community is great and will make amazing things happen, I look forward to working on the front end! Also now need to figure out to link with rekordbox without XML

2 Likes

Out of context, youโ€™re almost being too soft in your description of an industry that has made an art out of mediocrity. But in context, your understatement is like first shot fired in a mass uprising. If thatโ€™s overly dramatic sounding, then maybe the move to make rekord buddy open source might best be seen as the wake-up call (or push into irrelevancy) the big companies donโ€™t want to think about.

2 Likes

Hi, i just found out today of this app but i canยดt find a way to download it for Mac. Can anyone help me with this?

looks like the build of the free version isnt finished right now - i am hyped my self :slight_smile:

I think this is great! DJs will benefit from a program thatโ€™s being supported by an open source community. Too much vendor lock-in on the software side. There are still quite a few DJ programs that are not supported in Rekord Buddy, and I hope the list of support will expand to Denon, VDJ, Mixxx and others.

The thing that worries me is the future of Windows support, as the latest beta built is not working for me, and I really rely on Rekord Buddy a lot. Hope it gets a somewhat working build in the near future.

1 Like

Hello. Thank you for these news. Where can we download the app? Thank you for your time.

1 Like

Iโ€™ve never been prouder of having bought and supported an app. Thank you Damien for your developement, and deciding on going open source.

4 Likes

Did you try reading the post above? At the time you wrote you reply it was telling you that the builds will be available later, which they are now.

Did you try reading the post above? At the time you wrote you reply it was telling you that the builds will be available later, which they are now.

2 Likes

Your work over the past few years has been impressive and your initiative recognized within our music community. You are making a bold move here, for the best!

Very proud of you, even more knowing this app has been created by a Frenchy :facepunch:

2 Likes

This is awesome, for multiple reasons:

1. Iโ€™ve made a career out of building open source companies. (See Pingtel and Acquia (the latter much more successfully).) Iโ€™m a huge believer in the power of community. Good communities come from having great community leaders. I encourage you to think as much about the dynamics of how you grow and work with the people who join this community. Iโ€™m not a trustworthy person to code anymore, but I can help with a) docs, testing, etc., b) helping you think about ways to create rewards for you (for your past work) & for all the community going forward, and c) covering the costs of running an open source project (which may not be zero), and d) helping you think about how what you do might be impactful across and BEYOND the community. Which brings the next point.

2. Beatport Pro has been the tool I use to manage my vast library, because it offers tagging, etc. Beatport has announced that software is being de-commissioned. It will still function, but without connections to their APIs, store, etc. Thus, SOMETHING needs to exist as a cross-DJ-software library manager. Rekord Buddy is well positioned to be that. It might need some additional work to be the best library manager around, but an open source effort is the best way to make that happen.

Please count on my continued support (though not in code, sadly). Iโ€™m pleased to hear your choice, and happy to be part of your community.

3 Likes

I just found out about Rekord Buddy today. Iโ€™m very excited to see itโ€™s going open source, and I look forward to contributing. Depending on the language I might be able to help with code, but Iโ€™m sure I can contribute to testing or documentation as well.

I think that this is a really good sign for the DJ community as a whole. Along with Mixxx, Rekord Buddy stands to challenge the closed-source mentality that currently dominates DJ software. I salute your decision and I will support it any way I can.

On that note, can you set up a PayPal link for donations? Now that you are no longer selling the product, Iโ€™d like to contribute towards its continued existence. I have resisted learning to use CDJs because of the hassle of going from Serato to Rekord Box, and it would appear Rekord Buddy can solve that problem for me. Iโ€™d like to say thank you for that :smiley:

3 Likes

Does this remove the expiry on beta versions for Windows? Having this app work perfectly for my needs only to find it expired when I need to use it in a hurry has been a real issue.

Gladly!
Sent a few auto notifications โ€˜Something wonderfulโ€ฆโ€™ errors your way, after several crashes when creating a new Lib on a separate drive on windows (just clicking |> to expand/access the newly created lib crashes RekordBuddy reliably). If you need more info, or want me to test something, just reach out.
Churs.
c.

To further add after the initial testing round - when re-arranging a few bits (inside a Traktor collection, i.e. reparenting multipl playlists under a new groupd node) for testing RekordBuddy, loading up Traktor afterwards I had, in the standard collection list view:

• a LOT of ratings disappeared (not all, but at a guess a good 2/3rd of 20k files with rating valuesโ€ฆ)
  • as well as the contents of the Remixer field (Vorbis = MIXARTIST, id3 = TPE4. Since I have no use for Remixer, I use this field to combine data from multiple custom fields Traktor/Serato canโ€™t display nativelyโ€ฆ) have all also disappeared, or rather are not shown anymoreโ€ฆ:
    • the "Remixer " data itself is still in the files
    • traktorโ€™s Edit dialog does not show any content anymore for the Remixer field though eitherโ€ฆ
    • Traktor previously displaying these without an issue in browser columns & edit UIs ()โ€ฆ
    • had a look through Traktor Settings, and no luck there either so far to alter/customize the way it reads the Remixer fieldโ€ฆ
  • on all tracks where the Remixer field is not displayed anymore, the ReleaseDate value is also not displayed anymore (neither in the Edit field). Whereas when Remixer is displayed correctly, ReleaseDate is as well.

Any idea what RekordBuddy might have changed to alter Traktor to not being able to display/query the Remixer & Release Date fields at anymore erratilcally seemingly, as well as remove the visual display of 1000s or Ratings (i.e. the Star displayโ€ฆ the rating data itself is still on all filesโ€ฆ) ?

Cheers.
c.

ps. reverting to the previous collection.nml does show all Mixartist, Release Year & Ratings, that were not shown after RB edited one. Very odd altogether. Again - @damien let me know if/how you want more details.

pps. as I need to fix up Traktorโ€™s bad metadata practices, upon running the python code that fixes the recurring issues (string concatenation, reformatting, removal of multi-value tags, etc), I just noticed this on the files where I did open the Edit dialog:

• opening the Traktor edit dialog on a file that had the missing-metadata issues shown, Traktor then rewrites the header, essentially removing MIXARTIST/TPE4 & YEAR from the fileโ€ฆ so this can get destructive to the files themselves, or rather the metadat itself, as well. Just fyi.

Hi Damien,

Respect for your difficult decission. I hope this project keeps alive and kicking. More importantly, I wish you all the best for the future. Iโ€™ll keep following this forum and respond wherever helpful. Iโ€™m always willing to help with testing during the weekends.

Are the new build links down? I canโ€™t seem to access them. Thanks Damien, your hard work is greatly appreciated.

Linkโ€™s dead. Landing page also dead.

Urgent - Does anyone out there have a link (or can possibly upload) the latest free beta installer that Damien released recently for Mac ?

Im having authorisation errors, the next audio domain is down, and im doing a party in 2 hoursโ€ฆ

Desperate here. please help yall Iโ€™ll owe you one!!!

1 Like